Monday, May 5, 2008

Sweet surprises

My family recently lost a loved one rather suddenly. I had just gotten home from work and my cell phone rang. It was my Dad. Right away I knew something was wrong. By the end of the conversation I was in tears to discover that my aunt (mom's youngest sister) had passed away earlier that day. I was just numb. I couldn't believe she was gone. She was only 51. I still find myself reaching for the phone to call her or drop by her house when I am in the area. My cousin has been having a rough time of it. At first he didn't want any of the stuff from the house. My sister was really close to our aunt and she wanted her good china so David said she could have it. She gets a phone call from my mom last week and she says that David wants the china back. She was just devastated. This was the last link she had to our aunt. The items that were left to us in her will have mysteriously disappeared. My other aunt told him that he was going to have to call Laura himself. He did on Saturday on the pretense that he was asking how her move was going. He then says, "Why was I calling you? Oh yeah, I want Mom's china back. There is a pattern of Granadma's that you can have." Laura informed him that the china was at our mom's house and he would have to contact her.
With all of the drama, it made me sad to realize that I didn't have anything of hers except for a few clothing items. I then remembered a figurine that she had gotten me for my birthday one year but I hadn't seen it since I moved from my apartment that I shared with a friend back into my parents house. As we were moving my sister into her place yesterday my mom brought a box that had been in the storage unit that said Bedroom. Laura opened it and said that it was mine. I asked to see it and in that box was the figurine that my aunt had gotten me. It is a Boyd's Bear teacher and pupils. I kept it on my classroom desk for awhile. Now I have it again and can proudly display it in my home and remember her everytime I look at it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I was wondering about that when you were so excited to see that box.