Friday, August 29, 2008

First week back

Well, here it is Friday afternoon and we are just about finished with our first week back at school. I have 3 new students added to my 3 returning students. What a wonderful group it is. My new assistant is awesome. I think it is going to be a great year. My one concern is the new classroom in the other wing. It is what we call a "STACK" unit. Of course stack is an acronym and I can't remember what it all stands for. But in essence it is a structured classroom for students with Autism. Yesterday, my supervisor came in right after lunch and stated she needed me to go to another room for a little bit. A little bit turned into the rest of the afternoon. Thank god I have wonderful assistants and students that are not needy. I had to help de-escalate a situation between the students and the adults. This room is so unorganized. The teacher is floundering to come up with work and the students are having melt downs because there is no structured routine and they do not know what they are supposed to be doing. I at least got the room rearranged for them and got the students back on track with what work they did have. Now, my supervisor has asked me to take the teacher under my wings and help her out. I am all for checking in on her ocasionally but she wants me doing it daily. I am afraid that this is going to become more in depth than I thought. I have enough to do with running my classroom. But, I promised to help and help I will. For anyone that knows me, that is one of my biggest downfalls, I have a hard time saying no.

No comments: